Employing staff for the first time
There are several costs associated with bringing in an employee, as well as contractual requirements you need to abide by, when you become an employer in the UK. So it’s in your business’s best interests to understand exactly what’s involved – and at stake – when hiring an employee for the very first time.
To guide you through this process, the Stoke-on-Trent & Staffordshire Growth Hub are now able to offer you funded specialist HR/Employment Support for your business!
Our Specialist Growth Hub HR Advisor can come and visit you at your premises and guide you through the process to ensure that your business has everything is in place for both current and new members of staff. This is a FREE One-to-One Opportunity, where a qualified HR Advisor will complete a full diagnostic to ensure employment law compliance and review how our partners can help you to best unlock your growth potential.
Please Click Here/ Phone the business support line to arrange an appointment with a specialist Growth Hub HR Advisor now. Alternatively, please see below our basic 6 step guide when hiring new employees to your organisation…
There are 6 things you need to do when employing staff for the first time.
- Decide how much to pay someone – you must pay your employee at least the National Minimum Wage.
- Check if someone has the legal right to work in the UK. You may have to do other employment checks as well.
- Apply for a DBS check (formerly known as a CRB check) if you work in a field that requires one, eg with vulnerable people or security.
- Get employment insurance – you need employers’ liability insurance as soon as you become an employer.
- Send details of the job (including terms and conditions) in writing to your employee. You need to give your employee a written statement of employment if you’re employing someone for more than 1 month.
- Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by registering as an employer – you can do this up to 4 weeks before you pay your new staff.
- Check if you need to automatically enrol your staff into a workplace pension scheme.
Not found the information you are looking for? Please contact our HR Advisor/business helpline for further assistance…