Register for the Goods Vehicle Movement Service

February 19, 2021

If you’re a haulier that moves goods through one or more ports that uses the Goods Vehicle Movement Service, you should apply to use Goods Vehicle Movement Service.

If you’re a haulier that moves goods into Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) from the EU, you only need to register if your goods are moving under the Common Transit Convention.

Before you register:

You should use exactly the same address for Goods Vehicle Movement Service registration that you have used for any other Government Gateway service.

Your registration application will be delayed if you use a different address.

You can find out the address you have previously used by accessing a HMRC service you’re already registered for and checking your details.

To register, you will need to get an EORI starting with GB.


How to register:

You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one for your business when you register.



NEXT STEPS – Get a goods movement reference after registering with the Goods Vehicle Movement Service.

You need to present the goods movement reference at the port you are leaving from. Contact the carrier at the port to find out how to do this. The carrier will allow you to embark if the goods movement reference is valid. You must follow instructions on whether you need to get your goods checked by customs on arrival or if you are able to continue your journey.

To find out what you’ll need for a ‘Goods Movement Reference’ and to apply CLICK HERE



Call the Business Helpline to find out how we can help your business. Call 0300 111 8002.