Hiring from the EU

January 8, 2021

The way you hire from the EU has changed –

You need to register as a licensed sponsor to hire eligible people from outside the UK


Free movement has ended, and the new points-based immigration system has salary and language requirements that change the way you hire from the EU.

The new system treats EU and non-EU citizens equally and transforms the way in which employers recruit from outside the UK.

You need a sponsor licence to hire most eligible employees from outside the UK. This does not apply to Irish citizens.

Some immigration routes, such as Global Talent, are ‘unsponsored’. You don’t need a licence to hire employees with an unsponsored visa.



If you have any further queries around staffing issues or for HR support, please contact our dedicated HR specialist advisor – amanda.swann@staffordshirechambers.co.uk for free and impartial advice.


Call the Business Helpline to find out how we can help your business. Call 0300 111 8002.