UK Transition: Updated new rules for businesses
February 19, 2021
New Rules For Businesses
- You must declare any goods you send to the EU, providing details about what you’re sending and what it’s worth, using a customs declaration form. You can get a customs intermediary to help you do this.
- If you’re sending goods using a fast parcel operator or express courier, they’ll declare the goods for you, using the information you provide. This option could be beneficial for smaller businesses who aren’t looking to get a contract with a customs agent.
- If you’re sending goods by post valued at £900 or less, Royal Mail will give you a customs declaration sticker to fill in and attach to the parcel. For goods worth more than £900, Royal Mail will submit the customs declaration for you, using the information you provide.
- You will need an Export Health Certificate (EHC) to export food or drink that contains products of animal origin such as meat, dairy or eggs.
Support for exporters
- Department for International Trade’s Check How to Export Goods online tool, where you can find information on the UK border, and duties and customs procedures for over 160 markets around the world.
- VAT guidance about the conditions for zero rating VAT on the goods you export, and what you should do when you export goods in specific circumstances.
- The free Trader Support Service that you can sign up to, if you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- An online guidance package developed by DEFRA with HMRC to guide fish exporters through each step of the export journey. There’s a range of information and support available to help you make sure you’re following the new rules including the MMO One Stop Shop.
- HMRC’s Customs & International Trade Helpline which you can call and speak to an advisor on 0300 322 9434. The helpline is open from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 4pm at weekends. Or you can send HMRC your questions or use their webchat service.
- View the new on demand videos which focus on priority topics for businesses, such as exporting.
- Specific guidance and training is available on moving goods into, out of, or through Northern Ireland.
- For any further queries you can contact our dedicated business support helpline FOR FREE business advice on 0800 998 1098